Sunday, October 9, 2016

I Need to Drink How Much?

Water....not everybody likes it (let's face it, it is a pretty boring drink), not everybody values its importance, and not everybody has the "time" to drink all that they need in one day.  For optimal performance, you should drink a half to a full ounce of water for every pound you weigh.  For instance, a person who weighs 150 lbs. would need between 75-150 ounces a day! On average, about one glass an hour. It isn't easy to get all of that water in when we are such busy people, on the go, because what does drinking more water mean???  Of course, more trips to the restroom!  Who's got time for that?  :)  Did you know that you also lose water by simply breathing, digesting food and sweating?  So you if you do not drink to replenish your system, it will not function as optimally as it could.

The truth is that our bodies NEED water to remove toxins from our bodies that make us tired and sick!  But that is not all that water does.  It also re-hydrates our cells, the building blocks of our bodies.  It helps with digestion and metabolism.  It even helps regulate the body temperature!   I can definitely tell a difference from day to day through my workouts whether or not I had enough water to drink the day before!  It truly is THAT powerful! So how can we MAKE ourselves drink more water? Below are some of my favorite ways to make sure I drink all of my daily ounces of water.

  • My favorite way to get my water in is this infuser container that I can place fruit in to give my water a fresh, summery flavor. (Bed Bath and Beyond). It helps me to avoid the flavor packets that have all of that extra stuff (food coloring, artificial sweeteners, etc) in them that I try to avoid.
  • Another way to keep track is to buy a larger container (like 32-64 oz) and carry it around with you. Less trips to get water, easier to count.
  • You could use bottled water and count the number of bottles you drink in a day.  
  • Take your water with you wherever you go so always have it close by.  The average person will drink more water mindlessly taking sips if they have it close by.
  • Avoid sugary options such as juices and sodas as they may quench your thirst so that you are not able to get as much water intake.  For your soda cravings, I have taken a liking to the La Croix sparkling waters—I don’t use these as a substitute for water on the regular, just when I want something fizzy).  Dasani just came out with one as well.  To make juices healthier (most are full of added sugars), you could make it half juice and half water.
  • Add fruit (lemons, limes, cucumbers, oranges, berries, etc.) to your water even without the infuser.  Going to Sonic?  Order a fruit water instead of a soda or slushy.  There are so many fruits to choose from. My personal favorite is strawberrry- lemon water!  YUM!
  • If all else fails, there are actually apps on your phone that you can use to remind you to drink your water and track your intake!  Waterlogged, Daily Water and Water Tracker Daily are just to name a few.  And those are free! 
 I hope this helps you think about the benefits and importance of drinking lots of water while giving  you ideas on how to help you get your recommended "dosage" of it daily! Water does the body good. Pass it on!  

If you would like to learn more information about how to get back on the healthy train, email me at the address below.  I look forward to hearing from you!






No comments:

Post a Comment